Saturday, July 7, 2012

Kingfisher Moment

I am not much of a photographer but even a stopped clock is right twice a day.  In other words, if you spend enough time with your camera in your hand and clicking the shutter, once in a while you will get a a photo that makes you sit up and say, "I took that?!"  Such was the case this am when I stopped to check out the mudflats at Maple Lake in Paw Paw.  I have been keeping an eye on this spot for some time now - it is interesting in so many ways.



I expect a better than usual shorebird viewing season here, since because of the drought, the numerous scattered mudflats and small ponds in Van Buren County have mostly dried up.  I stop by most days to see if there are any NK's here. (Not Killdeer.)  Today there were the usual many noisy Killdeer, but also some fairly young Mallard babies resting with their Mom.



Out on the end of this same log, was a gorgeous Belted Kingfisher. A couple of peeps are visible over his head.



Once I got the scope out, I was able to see 4 or 5 Least Sandpipers and a Spotted Sandpiper that were blending in with the grass.  I tried to get a photo and this happened!  Couldn't have done it on purpose in a million years!



Until next time, take care, all, and I hope to see you back soon to share more adventures in this amazing place, Van Buren County. 




No comments:

Post a Comment